Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

21 January 2019

Hush... Hush, Sweet John Krasinski

A Quiet Place is nice and tight with a great score. I also loved Noah Jupe in it. Almost all of its running time is devoted to quoting other movies, but... I sort of didn't mind that too much and thought it worked well enough. The monster is especially cool. I will say that there are some ridiculously gaping plot holes, and some of what we see is patently absurd (the whiteboard in the basement is clearly there only so dim audience members will be able to follow along even if they haven't been paying attention – it couldn't possibly be of any use to the main character). Still, as I say, it's a tight little thing, and even if some of A Quiet Place's plot defies all logic, it's an inoffensive, fun little picture.

Here's the thing: as soon as the father and his boy went to the river I was like Right, there's no way they'll hear you at the river. So why didn't they just live at the goddamn river? Was there some sort of reason they needed to live in the middle of a fucking cornfield? Live near the river; give birth near the river; raise your kids by the river. It'll be great. No monsters will hear you and kill you.

Oh and you're telling me miss thing gave birth without making a sound? Consider me skeptical.

No comments:

Post a Comment