Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

05 June 2021

Cherry (2021)

I hated Cherry probably a little more than it deserves, but I don't care. The main issue with this film is the way it is shot. It's photographed and colored in this flashy style as if it's a superhero movie, but it's supposed to be some sort of realistic memoir of a guy with PTSD. 

Here's the thing. The first act of the film is all dumb jokes and weird editing with tons of voiceover. I was annoyed. Then we go to war in Afghanistan and I liked the movie a little better. This stuff is all very sad, and the movie hates war as much as I do. They spent good money on this part and it all looks good, too. 

Then my dude comes back from the war and does a lot of drugs and most of the movie is actually just him and his little girlfriend being junkies. Lots of drugs, lots of slow-motion photography. Lots of ponderous, droning music. I was really, really bored.

Tom Holland can do no wrong, and I am not holding this film against him, but I hated this. Oh and to make matters worse, this is only available on AppleTV+, a streaming service no one needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment