Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

08 July 2023

War Requiem (1989)

After adoring Derek Jarman's Caravaggio, I was disappointed to find myself less patient with his War Requiem, a feature-length film without dialogue set to Benjamin Britten's War Requiem. Honestly, in theory this is a cool idea. I've loved similar concepts on occasion, including an incredible version of The Passion of Joan of Arc set to Richard Einhorn's Voices of Light which I was grateful to be able to hear performed live by the Bach Festival Society of Winter Park back when I lived in Orlando. But anyway... Jarman's film is hyper theatrical in ways I didn't totally understand, and because there's no dialogue it often felt indulgent and distant. There is a very smart interpretation of the sacrifice of Abraham – but it's in the original Britten text, so it was a kind of literalization of the music. I don't know. This is cool in parts, but it left me rather cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment