Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

26 May 2020

The Deadly Affair (1967)

Decided to watch another British spy movie scored by Quincy Jones, since I liked A Dandy in Aspic so much and the Criterion Channel had a whole selection of movies scored by Jones. The Deadly Affair was directed by Sidney Lumet from a novel by John le Carré and starred James Mason, Maximilian Schell (great as always), and Simone Signoret.

The Deadly Affair got a bit of a slow start, but it ended up being quite good. I won't spoil the mystery by talking about it, but this is definitely a film worth watching. The main takeaway here is that Simone Signoret – and we already knew this, so I guess it was no surprise – is a genius. She gives an incredible performance. She's sensitive and hard at the same time, vulnerable and vicious, brokenhearted and steel. It's really a perfect portrayal. She has four scenes, and she's just terrific.

Also, for some reason there is an extended sequence at the theatre, where we watch the Royal Shakespeare Company's production of none other than Edward II directed by Sir Peter Hall. We are, of course, treated to the sequence in which the young king is sodomized by a red-hot poker. I rolled my eyes. The show, for the record, looks awful. The set is really hideous. Why this is in the film is beyond me, but it is there all the same.

2 comments:

  1. I’m not sure I agree with your analysis of the theatre scene. Only halfway through the film, but it seems like an integral moment to the plot, and I think the slightly unprofessional aspect of the production was also intentional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. Apologies, I realise there’s a second theatre scene that you were referencing. I still think the Shakespearean allusion is an appropriate context for the Cold War twists and betrayal.

    ReplyDelete