Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

13 June 2020

The Three Musketeers (1974)

Now I know The Three Musketeers was originally written for the Beatles, and so its madcap humor is supposed to work in a particular way, but the trouble is I just didn't think any of this was really very funny.

The costumes are very, very cool. Honestly. But the rest of this thing just didn't really work. Its humor was sort of lost on me, and I really thought that both Michael York and Raquel Welch were boring. My lord Welch is beautiful, but she is truly terrible in this movie.

I've been curious to see this film (and its sequel The Four Musketeers) since I read in Faye Dunaway's autobiography that the actors thought they were only making one film. (You can read about this, but the actors sued, and now there is a clause in every SAG contract that the actor is only making a single film.)

Reading reviews of this movie, I feel like maybe I missed something – like maybe the jokes were just going over my head...? Perhaps they were. I will probably watch the sequel too. Maybe I'll start to understand Richard Lester's humor when Faye is onscreen more.

No comments:

Post a Comment