Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

12 January 2021

Tesla (2020)

Tesla is a Peter Greenaway film but, like, not as good as Peter Greenaway? I don't like Greenaway, so I'm definitely insulting Tesla. Michael Almereyda has done something... quirky (?) here. Tesla and the other characters play scenes in front of giant projections of locations. They are interrupted by a character in the present day talking about how many Google results come up when you look up Thomas Edison. All of this means that we should be learning about Tesla and Edison and what happened with electricity in the 19th century, but in fact we learn very little about Tesla, the people he worked with, his dreams, the politics behind the feud with Edison, the politics behind Morgan's squelching of Tesla's plans, all of it. We know about it, because a character is reading us a Wikipedia entry on it, but there's no need for this to be a film. It's like a kind of report done by undergrads as a group project. And when Nikola Tesla sings (very badly, I might add) a karaoke version of Tears for Fears' "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" near the end of the film, I was positive I hated this movie. Like... why??? I still can't believe that actually happened in the film. I have no idea what Michael Almereyda might have been thinking with that.

When you google Nikola Tesla x number of results come up. This is historiography?

I watched Tesla on Hulu, where, I suppose you could watch it too, but you don't want to do that. It's embarrassingly bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment