Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

06 January 2021

The Midnight Sky

I was in the mood for a sci-fi film, and then I remembered this new release, so I watched it. The Midnight Sky has a couple of really good scenes, and I love the score, but the movie just isn't that much fun. 

George Clooney's new movie is a downer. It's also sort of... well... it takes the sort of zen point of view that literally everyone is well meaning. Everyone in this film behaves rationally, and everyone explains his or her behavior, and everyone does precisely what he or she believes is right. This is not the point of view I would personally take of the world. It's not a bad thing, necessarily, but it does make everything in the film feel sort of trite, and certainly much less universal and global than the film wishes to be.

This also feels like the kind of adaptation of a novel where everything sort of fits together in a sentimental way. I don't know. The film feels better than that, but not much. 

I'm kind of a sucker for stuff happening in space, though, so I liked that. And the scene with all the blood was really cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment