Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

30 May 2021

Wyatt Earp (1994)

I gotta be honest. I had a lot of trouble telling all of these mustachioed men in Wyatt Earp apart. They truly all looked the same to me. And so I know that there was some clan that Wyatt Earp needed to kill, but I couldn't have picked a single one of those men out of a lineup. 

As for this 190-minute epic film, I really don't understand why USAmericans were so into three-hour movies with Kevin Costner or Mel Gibson or Tom Hanks in the 1990s. This fucking drags

And there is another problem too. Costner is a stoic dickhead throughout for whom it is almost impossible to feel any kind of sympathy. The film tries to dig into some ethical problems or something, but it fails at this. Instead we get a bloody revenge film pretending to be something resembling law and order. No law and order about it. This is just a vigilante film about a dude I didn't like very much. 

I will say I quite liked Dennis Quaid in this. But I don't have much else to say that is good. Oh, actually no I do. The photography is pretty great at times.

This was the final film I needed to see from the 1995 Oscars. I watched this, if you can believe it, on DVD. It was split into two discs, even. Extra old school.

No comments:

Post a Comment