I'm really tired and I only have the energy for surveys... that said, I got tired of the ones on the web and found two old standards: the Bernard Pivot Questionnaire from Apostrophe and Inside the Actors Studio and this survey, from the back page of Vanity Fair every month:
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Being hugged from behind by the love of my life while barbecuing in my backyard
2. What is your greatest fear?
Failure in any of its forms
3. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
4. Which living person do you most admire?
Jaime Rohrer, Arianna Huffington, Tony Kushner
5. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
6. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
7. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
"Brilliant" and "totally"
8. What is your greatest regret?
Not being willing to love a man who loved me. I loved him for years afterward, but by then it was too late.
9. What is your greatest extravagance?
Currently, it's new furniture
10. What is your favorite journey?
The rehearsal, production and realization of a piece of theatre
11. On what occasion do you lie?
All the time
12. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
13. What do you dislike most about your appearance?
The fact that I'll never have washboard abs
14. Which living person do you most despise?
Any of a seemingly limitless number of religious nut-jobs
15. What or who is the greatest love of your life?
16. When and where were you happiest?
I'm happier every day
17. What is your current state of mind?
18. Which talent would you most like to have?
The ability to dance
19. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I would spend more time with other people
20. If you could change one thing about your family, what would it be?
I wish they did not believe in god
21. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
22. If you were to die and come back as a person or thing, what do you think it would be?
A solar panel
23. If you could choose what to come back as, what would it be?
A gay man
24. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
25. What is your most treasured possession?
26. Where would you like to live?
On cliffs overlooking the ocean and where the wind never ends
27. What is your favorite occupation?
28. What is your most marked characteristic?
29. What is the quality you most like in a man?
30. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
31. Who are your favorite writers?
Tony Kushner, Michael Cunningham, Tori Amos
32. Who is your favorite hero of fiction?
Nick Guest from The Line of Beauty
33. Who are your heroes in real life?
Anyone doing with their life what it is they want to do most
34. What do you value most in your friends?
35. What are your favorite names?
Fernando, Tristan, Elizabeth, Madeleine
36. What is it that you most dislike?
Having to go to work
37. How would you like to die?
At the opera eating chocolate
38. What is your motto?
"Roll with the Punches" and "Don't Feed the Animals"