Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

01 June 2008

The Lord

If you know me well at all you know I am very particular about the phrases "with the Lord" (which means that whatever you're describing is religious in some way) and "from the Lord" (which basically means "Heavenly").
If I bake a cheesecake and it tastes good, that is from the Lord.
If we're--for example--talking about a boy who says he's straight but we all know he'll come out of the closet soon, and we wonder aloud why he's still in the closet even though he loves musical theatre and always wants to go shoe shopping, someone or other might say "oh, it's 'cause he's with the Lord" and then we would all nod understandingly.

To review:
Chik-fil-A is with the Lord (they're closed on Sundays).
Good espresso is from the Lord (it tastes good and it wakes you up).
In N Out Burger is both with the Lord (religious) and from the Lord (delicious).

Got it?

I have been using these phrases around school, of course, and my colleagues are slowly but surely picking it up. To wit: The following is an email I got from a colleague this evening from one of the MFA technical directors:
I visited Dxxx at Glimmerglass this weekend. Last night, as we were sitting around the campfire, we got to talking about women we found attractive. One particular name came up, and I said, "Too bad she's with the Lord." And then Dxxx said, "Yeah, but her body is from the Lord." And then we toasted your name.

Miss you. Hope your summer's going well.

Rxxx
That's what I'm here for, people.

P.S. In case you didn't know: I'm an atheist.

No comments:

Post a Comment