Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

01 March 2014

Oscar Predictions

The big awards are finally tomorrow. I hope you've seen as many of the films as you can. There are lots of real gems out there (La Grande Bellezza, Gravity, Her, and Before Midnight) are my favorites among the nominees. This is a year that is really hard to predict. It looks as though there are three frontrunners, and at any given moment, I feel like changing my predictions. So if the evening is full of surprises tomorrow (and I will be surprised even if my predictions work out), it might also end up being rather disappointing (if American Hustle starts taking home Oscars).

Anyway, we shall see! I plan to have lots of fun watching, and I'm working on a Gravity-themed cocktail for my guests.

Here are my Oscar predictions:

Best Picture: Gravity
Best Director: Cuarón, Gravity
Best Live-action Short: Helium
Best Animated Short: Get a Horse!

Best Song: "Let It Go", Frozen
Best Makeup: Dallas Buyers Club
Best Visual Effects: Gravity  
Best Sound Editing: Gravity  
Best Sound Mixing: Gravity

Best Foreign Language Picture: La Grande Bellezza
Best Documentary Short: The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life
Best Documentary Feature: Twenty Feet from Stardom
Best Original Score: Steven Price, Gravity 
Best Costume Design: Catherine Martin, The Great Gatsby (Zzzzz. Can this please lose?)
Best Production Design: Catherine Martin, The Great Gatsby
Best Animated Feature: Frozen
Best Film Editing: Mark Sanger & Alfonso Cuarón, Gravity
Best Cinematography: Emmanuel Lubezki, Gravity
Best Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years a Slave (I hope, I hope, I hope)
Best Supporting Actor: Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club
Best Original Screenplay: David O. Russell, American Hustle (A true shame, but I think it happens.)
Best Adapted Screenplay: John Ridley, 12 Years a Slave
Best Actress: Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine
Best Actor: Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club

Happy Oscars, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment