Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

21 February 2023

M3GAN (2022)


I should have seen this weeks and weeks ago when it came out; I'm sure it would have been funnier then, and I would have been more tapped into the zeitgeist. But, listen, it's awards season and I didn't have time for this fashionable killer robot. Anyway I've seen it now, and I've gotta say that all of you who said that it leaned into the camp? You were right but only partially so. M3GAN took its time getting started, and aside from that stellar opening commercial I was pretty bored for at least the first 20 minutes. Once she gets started, she's fun and creepy, and I began to enjoy myself, but M3GAN is a lot more sentimental than I expected it to be. This film wants to be campy and to say something meaningful about how human connection is better than staring at your iPhone. But I don't think you can have it both ways. I wish this film had been satisfied with camp. 

Don't get me wrong, this movie is FIN3; I just expected something that owned its silliness a little more fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment