Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

25 July 2007

Conference

I am off to the annual conference for the Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE) until Sunday, y'all. So there will be a small hiatus in posts. The conference is in New Orleans.

I will not be presenting or participating in any panels or any of that craziness. But I will be boozing socializing and schmoozing networking with other theatre people who work for universities. And I plan on asking questions and finding some new ideas.

Speaking of new ideas. I just started reading a (feminist) book called Bodies That Matter by Judith Butler. It's one of those it-takes-an-hour-to-read-ten-pages books. This shit is very, very dense. I have to read it out loud just to make sure it makes sense in my head. It's all about the materiality of bodies and how bodies and gender are constructed through discursive practices and systems of language. I believe all of it, too. I just don't know I believe it until she says it, and then I'm quite sure that that is exactly what I believe. It's quite an experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment