Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

21 June 2010

Read, Read, Read Part IV

Still reading. I am doing about 125 pages a day at this point, which is pretty much exactly what my schedule needs to be right now. Since the last time I posted about this, I have read:

A very old collection of plays by the Symbolist poet Maurice Maeterlinck, which included Alladine and Palomides, Pélléas and Mélisande, and The Death of Tintagiles.

Philip Massinger's Jacobean Orientalist fantasy The Renegado or The Gentleman of Venice (I am, as you can probably tell, fairly obsessed with this new Arden Early Modern Drama series of editions.)

Paul Gilroy's 'There Ain't No Black in the Union Jack': the Cultural Politics of Race and Nation

Foucault's Security, Territory, Population: Lectures at the Collège de France 1977-1978, which I didn't like quite as much as the previous year's, but which I found illuminating all the same.

Cherríe Moraga and Gloria Anzaldúa's awesome collection of essays and poems This Bridge Called My Back: Writings by Radical Women of Color

and today I finished a volume edited by Roger Shattuck of the Selected Writings of Guillaume Apollinaire, the rest of whose work I feel compelled to read immediately. (I will not, of course. I have plenty of reading that I need to without giving myself new tasks.)

1 comment: