Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

25 May 2011

The Briefest of Reviews from 1973

I was just talking about childhood, wasn't I? I have to admit to being totally underwhelmed by this picture. It was good... sort of. American Graffiti is a movie that is actually about nostalgia; in other words, the picture attempts to give us an idyllic picture of life as it used to be, to revive something that the film always already assumes is lost. (That makes sense, right?) I don't do very well with either so-called main-street values or with nostalgia, so I didn't really like this movie very much. It was cool to see Harrison Ford looking so young and pretty, though.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, underwhelmed... but historically this is an important film. Tons of great films owe their very existence to the fact that this film was made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are certainly correct, Anonymous. And the film, to be fair, is not only of historical interest. It is not a bad picture and it is certainly an important one. It just wasn't for me (or my roommate) and the genre of film to which it is a precursor are also films that are not really my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete