Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

17 April 2012

Saludos Amigos

If you look at the tagline above, you will see that this film boasts, not only that it features Joe Carioca, "the Brazilian Jitterbird," but also that – and I quote – "Walt Disney goes South American in his gayest musical technicolor feature"

I cannot say that this film quite delivered on its promises of gayness (gaiety?), but Saludos Amigos was a cute little South-American tourism film, its animation is beautiful, and I was also stunned to note that not only were almost all the Spanish words pronounced correctly, but the narrator referred to the Andes as "the tallest mountains in America". Such a construction would be unthinkable in 2012, since for so many USAmericans these days, the word America has come to mean only the United States. I found the whole thing rather pleasant, and confess myself slightly disappointed when it was over after a running time of only forty-two minutes.

3 comments:

  1. I have spent way too much time thinking about this film. If only that had led me to something interesting to say about it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this the film with the floating woman's head singing Solemente Una Vez?

    KV

    ReplyDelete