Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

31 July 2020

The Gay Deceivers (1969)

The Gay Deceivers
is a very curious movie. I've said before that in 1969 Hollywood was cranking out absurd movies where teenagers wanted nothing to do with sex but that there were plenty of other films that showed that teenagers understood precisely how the world works. This movie is one of the latter, in which high schoolers and high-school graduates are having plenty of sex, including sex with other teenagers' mothers.

This movie is also surprisingly gay, by which I mean that although gay culture and gay men are the butt of many of the jokes here, there is also plenty of discussion of prejudice, many many jokes aimed explicitly at gay people, and lots of eye-candy. The entire thing is made with a wink, and although the I may not know my flowers but I know a bitch when I see one line is famous, there are plenty more delightful quips where that came from, and Michael Greer is fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment