Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

03 August 2026

He-Man


Masters of the Universe
is so much better than it ought to be. The trick that Travis Knight's film manages to pull off is that it takes an ironic view toward He-Man and his universe while at the same time it revels in it. It's a clever ploy that doesn't always work, but works most of the time. The film, for example, constantly refers to the entire world of Eternia or whatever it's called as something invented by a ten-year-old. He-Man, Goddess Lady, Ram-Man, Fisto... it ends up being a series of very funny dad-jokes actually, and Idris Elba gives a really hilarious performance at the movie's center. 

Nicholas Galitzine is good, and (I can't believe I'm gonna say this but) Jared Leto is very, very funny—even though I couldn't have told you it was him. 

One very significant gripe: There wasn't nearly enough of that green tiger for my taste. I love big cats, especially when they're magical (I still think about that tiger in K-Pop Demon Hunters), and poor Cringer was criminally underused.

No comments:

Post a Comment