Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

07 August 2020

Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959)

Journey to the Center of the Earth is a fairly typical late-1950s science fiction story, although this one has a pretense at being a literary adaptation, that is... if you want to call Jules Verne literature. Haha.

But this film has lots to recommend it. It's funny and sweet, and it has plenty of adventure in it. Pat Boone spends over half of the movie shirtless, and he's pretty and sings beautifully. At one point he's sweating profusely and he cuts off most of his clothes with a knife and it's really more than a kid's movie should allow. If I had seen this as a kid I might have turned gay immediately. Arlene Dahl is also fairly wonderful in this. And there's a really adorable duck called Gertrude. In short, I had quite a lot of fun with Journey to the Center of the Earth.

I got Disney+ so that I could watch Hamilton and Frozen (again – for a research project). But I still haven't watched either Hamilton or Frozen and instead I watched this bit of silliness. I stand by my choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment