Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

01 August 2020

David Copperfield (1935)

The Personal History, Adventures, Experience, & Observation of David Copperfield the Younger has a great cast, especially Freddie Bartholomew as young David. Edna May Oliver is her perfect self, as well.

But... well... this movie is a respectful series of events more than it is a meaningful adaptation of anything interesting. It has that standard saccharine 1930s Hollywood sensibility about it. I didn't hate it, of course, but this movie isn't serious about its Dickens except for a few sequences early on. Instead it's jokey and rather silly.

Also... that wife of David's. Woof. I had forgotten how awful she is. It really makes one question one's love for Copperfield in the first place. Like, bro, what are you doing chasing after this ninny?

I watched this because I thought I read that there would be a new Copperfield adaptation out in theatres this year. I am not sure if that is still true or not. I might have made it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment