Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

20 August 2020

Up in Arms (1944)

There is a whole bevy of Danny Kaye musicals on Amazon Prime right now, for reasons I couldn't possibly fathom. And since I declared my love for Kaye last week, I thought I'd try another one. Up in Arms is easily the weirdest wartime musical I've ever seen. It's the most bizarre of military musicals - at one point the entire company of the Goldwyn Girls are in bathing suits lounging on the deck of a military ship. I scoffed, of course, and then a sailor said I wish we had had this in the last war and another replied We don't have it in this war. What? 

The thing is, Danny Kaye is just so funny. His antics are absurd. Like truly idiotic and stupid, but I find myself laughing out loud. It's all just so silly! Up in Arms has a lot of gay humor in it too (Or is it anti-gay? Who can tell?). And Kaye is just so downright feminine all the time! The homoeroticism - and there is a ton of it - seems part and parcel to his kind of humor. At one point he even lipsyncs to a recording. It's a great drag show.

No comments:

Post a Comment