Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

02 March 2008

Buggin'

I finally saw William Friedkin's film version of Tracy Lett's sensational play Bug. The film stars Ashley Judd, Michael Shannon (the original Off-Broadway star), Harry Connick Jr. and Brían F. O'Byrne.

You can read my review of the play here. I wanted to see the movie because I loved the play so much, and I have to say I was a little disappointed. Bug still works on screen. It's freaky and disturbing. The dialogue is still great. The performances are excellent. But the shock value that is inherent in a stage play that features as much blood and as much nudity as Bug does is all lost on the big screen (almost wrote bug screen).

Oh yeah, and they cut out the nudity, which is weird. On stage, the actors were naked for like 30 minutes and it was awesome. On screen, they are naked for about 2 seconds. So tame.

Still, it's a creepy, fucked-up movie, and I liked it, even if it is better on stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment