Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

26 April 2006

Not What You'd Expect

No one I've spoken with likes Thank You for Smoking. It got rather uniformly good-but-not-overly-excited reviews, but I expected it to connect with the people in my social circle(s) and it kind of hasn't. This, of course, doesn't mean I won't like it. Comedy is a funny thing (ha ha) and my sense of humor is not exactly mainstream. (I'm thinking of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, a movie that apparently no one thought was funny except for me.) Anyhow, I've been having a blasé attitude about the film and now I'm feeling even more disinterested.

And now, all of a sudden and out of the blue, everyone I know is talking about Everything Is Illuminated. Now, I saw the trailer for this film at least fifteen times last year and the more I saw it the sillier the movie looked to me. But everyone apparently saw this movie last week because it keeps popping up in conversations I've had this week. And everyone is saying how much they loved it and how funny it was. It doesn't take much of that for me to start feeling as though I am missing out.
...I added it to the Netflix queue.

I'm still really sick over here. I'm going in to work tomorrow, though. I just can't bear sitting at home all day when I could be earning money. Anyway, I bought some Sudafed at the grocery and I'm feeling like I've started to win in the war against this cold. Oh yeah, and I totally dodged a bullet with the satellite dish people. I felt the urge to call and cancel the service (that I do not watch at all) this evening and whaddya know: I'm paid up through April 27th. So I canceled my service as of right-this-minute and now I don't owe them a damn thing: no monthly payments at all. And they're sending me some boxes to ship them back their equipment. So nice.

Boys' Life is opening in, like, ten seconds, by the way, and I'm starting to feel, um, a tad—shall we say... anxious. It's just normal nervousness, of course. Surprisingly, the show looks really good and the direction is not too bad. Brittney and I titled her one-woman show tonight, too. It's going to be called My Mother's Voice Set Me Free. Isn't that a fun title? I think it has a sense of history to it, as well as a sort of rebellious, leftist feel to it. Tonight we worked on this monologue from Pterodactyls by Nicky Silver and I'm starting to get really excited about the material we've chosen for this. All of the pieces are very different from one another and very few of them are popular, well-worn monologues: most of the pieces are new and interesting and sort of virgin. The only two well-known pieces are Betty's monologue from Caryl Churchill's Cloud 9 and Georgeanne from Alan Ball's Five Women Wearing the Same Dress.

I had something else to tell you...

Hm.

Oh. It belongs in a longer post: a kind of rumination on my talents (and drawbacks) as a director. Anyway.

Good night, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment