Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

17 July 2006

All You Need Is Love

Las Vegas is not to me what it once was. I have complained in these pages before about my trips to Vegas with my high school friends and this trip to Las Vegas with them was exactly the same as all of our other trips in every respect except one. On one of the evenings, we did something different. There is a place where my friends' interests and my interests converged in Vegas and LOVE was it. My friends love the Beatles and while I'm not particularly interested in them, I have been trying to get them to go see a piece of theatre with me for what seems like ever.

It was a match made in Heaven. The show is amazing, of course. A little bit too dance-centric with fewer acrobatics than I'd have liked, but visually breathtaking with one great song after another and one great act after another. It was truly a feast for the eyes. My friends were absolutely stunned, which was great.

Anyway, Vegas was it's usual ridiculous, fun-filled, debauched self. I went to Fat Tuesday far too many times, and as is my usual way (having far too fucking many straight friends) didn't get to go to Krave. I did see the very well-done and beautiful Ansel Adams exhibit at the Bellagio (thanks to Jaime and John) and I loved that and the three of us debated the art and North Korean foreign policy for our long drives, making them much shorter than any Vegas trips I've ever taken.

It was my mom's birthday today and I called her to wish her a happy one. I thought, out of politeness, I would ask her if she wanted to do anything special with me before I left for Florida. So I asked her. It wasn't really a good idea. We are, neither of us, very sentimental people, and the family instinct is not strong with us. I'm used to this, of course, and it is I who so often exclaim phrases like "fuck family" and say that my family has no clan instincts whatsoever, but when she said over the phone that she didn't really have anything special planned I got a little--well, I don't even know, really. Then she asked if I was upset by that. I said "no," of course, but I don't know. I think I will really miss my mother. Really miss spending time with her. She said, "I guess we can have lunch, but you're going to be gone for five years; what's a lunch?" She's funny. I'll be back soon, of course, so I needn't get all emotional about it, but the move is getting closer and I'm starting to feel like I want to grab my friends and not let go.

Tomorrow is my first real day of unemployment and I will spend it preparing for the big move. There is much to do and not much time left.

No comments:

Post a Comment