Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

03 July 2006

Haiku Trés

A couple things about these haiku before I embark on more. I've been thinking about them over the last couple of days and it occurs to me that what I'm writing about is something very specific (aside from the rules I'm setting for myself and the parameters of the form itself). I realize that it's actually very different for me to think about my friends as separate from me. They aren't separate from me, really. By which I mean that what I own, what I feel I possess about my friends is my relationship with them, what we have in common or what we possess together that is symbiotic. For me to separate something out enough to write a poem that isn't about my own experience is very difficult. I have to cull some aspect of our relationship out and describe that thing that is apart from me. This often means that what I choose to write about is not what I love most or appreciate best about my friend, but instead something I don't understand or have trouble coping with. So, some more:

Jewels of red and green
Shower those in your aspect's grace
Unrequested peals


~

You know this song and
It knows you: better than I
Oceans move below


~

You see the future
As I, wishes inchoate
Spring thaws what's frozen


~

You climb and attach
Your hunger like ivy twists
Snaking still higher


~

A tiger darkly
Pulls his coat of orange on
Eyes smoking purple


~

Your spirit is far
Leagues from here among comets
Trailing dusty bright


~

Morning breaks and you
Move closer in the pale light
My arm protects you


~

Falcons sensing more
than prey turn toward you too late
Other fruit's more sweet

No comments:

Post a Comment