Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

22 January 2007

On Vacation I Think About Time

I wrote this on 3 January 2007:


On Vacation I Think About Time

Away from home I spend an inordinate amount of time waiting
Expecting friends to show
Dawdling expectantly before movies start
Peevishly biding time until roads are cleared


I am not in control of sequences of time
The way I would be if I were in my own stomping grounds
But then, I think, even there


Even in my bedroom or on my sofa
In the high-backed overstuffed chair in my living room
Or running my fingers over the speckled counter-tops in my kitchen
Time enslaves me there, too


As I wait to hear the deep mellow tones of your voice
Cracking slightly under the weight of the day
Or is that break the low gravel of artifice?
A voice made deeper for my benefit
A performance of masculinity I believe unquestioningly


I wait for that crack, its belying surety
As though I have no other schedule
No demands but those hopeful glances I steal toward the telephone
Hoping you'll call

No comments:

Post a Comment