Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

29 April 2007

Unwinding

Everybody riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiise!

That last note courtesy of Elaine Stritch. I'm listening to Company, if you can't tell.
This morning afternoon I woke up at 1:00p. I think it's been about a year since I did that. But I have nothing that I have to do and yesterday I smoked, and didn't get home until 3:00a, so there you have it. I'm healing from all of those days of not getting enough sleep because I was up late reading about the medieval theatre. Thank god I'm done with that. I'm done with all of my grading too. I finished all of that yesterday, so I'm more or less free.

I watched François Truffaut's La Nuit Américaine (Day for Night) a couple days ago, by the way, and I absolutely loved it. It's a zany comedy about making a film and it is completely, totally charming. Truffaut himself even plays the director of the film. I loved it. Jacqueline Bisset stars along with Valentina Cortese, Nathalie Baye (who is gorgeous in the film) and Jean-Pierre Léaud (from the Antoine Doinel films). It's great.

I also saw The Ruling Class, which I pretty much hated. It's a black comedy, satiric kind of thing from 1972 with Peter O'Toole. It's supposed to be very very funny and it is ever once in a while, but I was mostly just irritated by the whole thing. Firstly, it's about an hour too long (it clocks in at 154 minutes). But my problem was the central character, who's a nutcase. You know I have trouble watching films about people who don't act rationally. I don't know what it is, but I have real difficulty sitting around watching somebody act like a jackass for two and a half hours. I don't like Forrest Gump and I didn't care for Being There, which I know the entire world loves, but these things aren't my cup of tea. I have a lot of trouble investing in a complete idiot, no matter how pointed the satire in the movie is.

No comments:

Post a Comment