Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

12 September 2007

From the Trenches

I wish there were something to report. I feel like all I do is study and read and work at my new cushy office job (where I happen to be right now). I am finding a little more focus. I plan to write about two playwrights in particular: David Rudkin and Mark Ravenhill, but I am still a little unsure as to where all this is headed. I think it will all become clearer as I start writing in the next ten days.

I think my biggest issue is that what I really want to do is a kind of giant critical survey, the kind, of course, that I do not have time to do for a thesis (it's only supposed to be 80-100 pages). I think what needs to happen is that I really just need to hunker down and do a very narrow critical study on my two playwrights and why I think they're interesting in terms of queer violence. I know, this is all dry, philosophical stuff. I'm sorry I don't have anything more intriguing to talk about, but research has become my whole life again.

I watched The Lives of Others again last night. I will write about it tonight, hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment