Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

20 February 2011

At the Grocery This Evening

So I stopped by the grocery on my way home from the movies tonight. I had gone to see Biutiful by myself (loved it) and had just thrown on a pair of jeans, a baseball jersey, and a beanie. Didn't think about it. Wasn't going to see anyone. So I buy my groceries and go to the checkout. I am chatting with the guy ringing me up. He tells me he can't wait to go home and I say "yeah, I bet" and then he asks me:

Him: You like this song?

But I don't really know what he's talking about because I am not really listening to the music playing over the speakers in the supermarket. It's pop music or something. I wasn't paying attention so:

Me: Huh?
Him: You like this song?
Me: Never heard it before.
Him: This guy came over and said this song's gay.
Me: ...

Me: It's a gay song?
Him: Yeah he said this song's gay.
Me: Well... uh... I never heard it before.
Him: I mean, I like it.
Me: ...

Me: ...You have a good night.

I was really taken aback by the whole thing. I actually am still not sure what he meant. I guess gay = bad. I didn't know we still said that. Or maybe he meant actually gay. I was so confused. I guess I still am. And I guess he couldn't tell I am gay by looking at me. I always think that is weird, too. Sometimes, truth be told, I get offended that people think I am straight when they look at me.

But he likes the song. Whatever it was. I guess he wanted me to absolve him of having a homo moment by liking the song as well and then two straight guys would like the gay song and it would mean that the song wasn't gay. I guess he just picked the wrong straight guy to do the validation. His gaydar must not be working. Guess he isn't gay after all. The song probably is gay, though.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like his gaydar was working just fine. He was coming out to you.

    He said that someone else deemed the song 'gay' and that he likes it...He wanted to know you were the gay as well.

    Get your kicks, gir.

    ReplyDelete