Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

20 February 2011

At the Grocery This Evening

So I stopped by the grocery on my way home from the movies tonight. I had gone to see Biutiful by myself (loved it) and had just thrown on a pair of jeans, a baseball jersey, and a beanie. Didn't think about it. Wasn't going to see anyone. So I buy my groceries and go to the checkout. I am chatting with the guy ringing me up. He tells me he can't wait to go home and I say "yeah, I bet" and then he asks me:

Him: You like this song?

But I don't really know what he's talking about because I am not really listening to the music playing over the speakers in the supermarket. It's pop music or something. I wasn't paying attention so:

Me: Huh?
Him: You like this song?
Me: Never heard it before.
Him: This guy came over and said this song's gay.
Me: ...

Me: It's a gay song?
Him: Yeah he said this song's gay.
Me: Well... uh... I never heard it before.
Him: I mean, I like it.
Me: ...

Me: ...You have a good night.

I was really taken aback by the whole thing. I actually am still not sure what he meant. I guess gay = bad. I didn't know we still said that. Or maybe he meant actually gay. I was so confused. I guess I still am. And I guess he couldn't tell I am gay by looking at me. I always think that is weird, too. Sometimes, truth be told, I get offended that people think I am straight when they look at me.

But he likes the song. Whatever it was. I guess he wanted me to absolve him of having a homo moment by liking the song as well and then two straight guys would like the gay song and it would mean that the song wasn't gay. I guess he just picked the wrong straight guy to do the validation. His gaydar must not be working. Guess he isn't gay after all. The song probably is gay, though.