Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

07 April 2005

Awesome

Justin and I went to see Park Chan-wook's Oldboy. It's quite a film. Justin, who has had much more exposure to the fucked-up Asian shock/violence/gore genre didn't like it nearly as much as I did. I tend to get excited about things more easily than he does... no, actually, I tend to get excited more easily about movies than he does.

I feel refreshed by this movie. It reminds me how alive I am. Plus it has a cool style and some serious money-scenes.

Also... there seems to be nothing new under the sun. Park Chan-wook is doing what Sophocles did 2500 years ago when he wrote plays. Knowing theatre as I do made me appreciate Oldboy more. This is how Greek tragedy needs to be done nowadays for it to have an impact on audiences. It was very cool, so if you can stomach the gore involved and you like revenge flicks, you really ought to go see Oldboy. It will play in Pasadena for at least another week.

No comments:

Post a Comment