Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

03 April 2005

Somethin's Gotta Change, 'Cause Our Love's the Slowest-Moving Train

Today has been slightly productive. Actually, the whole weekend has been rather productive.

On Friday night I went on a date, yes, ladies and gentlemen, a date. I know, it's been forever. It was good to do that again. Hopefully, I will be doing more of that in the future.

Yesterday I got a haircut. I meant to do some reading as well, but that didn't really happen. I did see King Vidor's 1937 melodrama Stella Dallas, which was much better than I thought it would be. I like that Barbara Stanwyck. I never thought I did (mostly because of her hideous bangs in Billy Wilder's Double Indemnity, and her irritating performance in Executive Suite, but after seeing Stella Dallas, I think I do like her. I will have to check out Sorry, Wrong Number soon. After having dinner with the family, I went to a birthday party for someone I barely know, but who recently came out of the closet at age thirty-seven! Mm-hm. It was a nice party, and he's a nice man. His boyfriend's very nice, too. I met Lisa and Julie (who used to date this guy) there. It was, like, a party of all gay men. Good times.

This morning I watched an early Merchant Ivory film called Shakespeare Wallah which I absolutely loved. I recommend it to everyone. It's about the fading influence of British culture on India in the early 1960s and its absolutely wonderful. It's really a neat movie: subtle, poetic and beautiful like M/I's later work. I am on a M/I kick. I am going to check out more of their earlier work. Today I ironed, cleaned my house, paid my bills, ordered photos from a wedding I attended last November, and finished cutting As You Like It. I haven't started the crossword yet, and I don't think I will today. I'm going to go wash my car and try to finish The Line of Beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment