Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

04 July 2005

Bump. Set. Spike.

The thing about big holidays--you know, holidays like Independence Day and Thanksgiving as opposed to minor ones that you have off work like Labor Day and Memorial Day--is that it is impossible to relax. I mean, you don't really have a free day to catch up on things or sleep for an extended period of time or repair the plumbing in the house. Because you're out doing things with family or friends.

In my case it was both friends and family and (a first!) both were enjoyable. Who knew it was possible? The family got together around 1:00p or so. I arrived with a cheesecake and a lemon curd to go with it (a lovely combo, I must say), and then I made deviled eggs when I arrived. We played Taboo and then talked about politics for at least an hour and it was a good discussion--mostly with my dad: my sister says horrifying things like, "We should invade a few more countries" and "women have too many rights in this country,” but my brother actually had some interesting things to add this time, as well.

Then I went off to the Evangelista/Barber/Schroeder family barbecue (which I also attended last year) and enjoyed myself there as well. There was a lot of volleyball (a little tiring, but mostly fun), free food, fireworks, and general festivity. A lot of my friends were there, too, so that makes it nice.

Okay, I’m tired now... and sore... and I have to go to work in the morning. Boo to that shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment