Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

31 July 2005

Theologians Don't Know Nothin' 'Bout My Soul

Hi.
I'm feeling a little frustrated. My horoscope predicted this.
Rehearsal was okay, but mostly annoying because I had a sick (i.e. no-show) actor. Today was supposed to be my first day with the entire cast and now my first day with the entire cast will not be until next Sunday because I gave another actor the night off tomorrow. (I committed to the latter weeks ago, and can't take it back now.) I hate sick actors. I know you can't really be mad, because, after all, they're puking their guts out or can't get rid of the voices talking in their heads or whatever, but damn it, it gets in my way. I'm trying to work and you're sick and so I can't really do my work. I shouldn't be so bitter. I should be understanding and generous, but I don't want to be because I'm in a frustrated mood.

Frustration number two is that we probably can't have a show on Saturday, September 10th. Initially, we were supposed to perform the 8th, 9th and 10th and then the 15th, 16th and 17th with a matinee on Sunday the 18th. Linda nixed the show on the 18th because the next show needs the space for technical rehearsals, but I found out today that it is going to be nearly impossible for us to have a show on the 10th, too. And why? Because Linda (the producer) didn't reserve the space with the facilities manager and so the space has been rented to someone else on that day. WHAT?! And it's dumb for me to get frustrated about this, because it isn't really my problem, but I do get frustrated, because I hate to just have a show on a Thursday and Friday and not have a Saturday show: that's dumb. And I hate taking performance dates away from actors. You tell them you're having a show: you shouldn't just pull out on some dates because it isn't convenient... but there's nothing I can even do about this, because I'm not the producer and this isn't my fault. I just want to have a good show, and do the best work I can. I shouldn't have to be bothering myself with things like "did we reserve the space we need?" Because if I were the producer, you can damn well bet I would've reserved the dates I needed six weeks ago when I made the schedule! I just want to scream.
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Okay. That's a little better. I was going to go the cinema, but Howl's Moving Castle is only playing at the One Colorado and I don't feel like going that far (it's really only about ten blocks) or paying that much. I could go see Elevator to the Gallows, but... I don't know. I think I'll see that on a weekday when I need something slower. Hmmm. Maybe I'll go get Thai food, finish reading The Libertine and watch Pather Panchali.

I think my car is leaking coolant from the compressor. It's a completely uneducated opinion, but it's all I've got.

Oh yeah, and I started compiling a giant list of schools to look at for graduate work. It's about 22 or 23 strong right now. To do this all again seems so daunting and makes my spirit sink a little, but I think it will be okay this time: a) I will apply to more schools this time, and b) I will write something nice and long and analytical about Hard Times so that they know I can compose a sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment