Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

14 July 2005

So Productive!

There had been random speculation this week that, were Chief Justice Rehnquist to be forced into retirement by his health, Justice O'Connor could be persuaded back to the High Court in order to be the new Chief. Such speculation was started by a Democratic senator, naturally, but the Conservatives might have gone for it after all. At any rate, this evening, the Chief issued a statement saying that he is hale and hearty and has no intention whatsoever of retiring despite his recent bout with thyroid cancer. Ah well. I like the Chief a lot and I would be sorry to see him go in any case, but the person I really wish would stay on the court is J. O'Connor. Every time I think about her not being on the Court next year, I just get depressed. I will miss her.
Why couldn't Justice Thomas retire? Now there's an idea I could get behind.

In other news, Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince is being released on Saturday. Ok, I will shut up about that. If you care, you know and are excited, and if you don't give a shit about Harry, I'm sure you're damn sick of hearing about his scrawny little sixteen year-old ass.

I can't watch DVD's anymore when I get home from work. I always try but it never works out. This afternoon I came home and popped in Satyajit Ray's Pather Panchali and sure enough, ten or fifteen minutes into the film I start falling asleep. Pather Panchali is thought by many (Akira Kurosawa, for one) to be one of the greatest films ever made, so I thought I might want to be awake when I watched it. It's not that the film was boring, it's just that I am so tired when I get home from work these days. I don't know what it is that tuckers me out so badly.
Anyway, I ended up baking tonight. I made popovers (which turned out only so-so) and then I made a cheesecake for work tomorrow. We need a little morale boost at work, lately. Yesterday, our boss was screaming at the top of her lungs at two of the girls in the office and for no good reason at all. We all find it frustrating and one of the girls is very seriously thinking about giving her notice. I am not quitting (no one would yell at me like that anyway) but I feel like I should cheer them up a little--or at least try to.

Oh yeah, and I got a new phone: it's really cute and the battery lasts longer than five minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment