Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

11 July 2005

Mountain Wedding

This weekend was my friend Jill's wedding. Jill lives and teaches in Ohio nowadays, but she spent a lot of her recent years up in Lake Arrowhead at a kids' camp there. So the wedding was, rather fittingly, I suppose, up in Lake Arrowhead.

Having been informed ahead of time that there would be an open bar and that folks from my high school days would also be in attendance, I went ahead and booked a room at the resort where they held the reception. That was probably the best decision I made all weekend.

The wedding was very nice. There is always way to much talk about god in these things for my taste, but this minister seemed to be particularly obsessed. He was going on about Christ's first miracle (turning water into wine--in case you are a heathen and don't know), and then they did a bogus thing with the candles: normally there are two candles and then the bride and groom light the center candle with their two smaller candles. Right? These Lutherans lit a center candle first and then the bride and groom "drew their light from Christ" and lit their candles. Weird. I had a lot of fun at the reception, though. Some very fun people from high school who I never see were there. And I got hit on all night by a married man (what can you do when you look this good?) The food was surprisingly good; Jill looked beautiful; and I started drinking at about 5:00p and didn't stop until 2:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment