Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

11 September 2006

Reading, Closing & Calling

Bored with Goethe, I turned my researching interests toward Wallace Shawn today. I started reading scholarly articles that touched the man tangentially or topically and found that there is a book all about Wallace Shawn. In fact, it's entitled Writing Wrongs: the Work of Wallace Shawn. It was published in 1997. And we had it at the library on campus. So between the clusterfuck meeting I had in the morning and my Intro to Theatre class in the afternoon, I went down to the library and picked this book up. I also found one of Shawn's plays that I hadn't read and picked that up too.

When I got home, another Shawn play I had ordered had arrived in the mail. So after doing all of my grading for the day I sat down and read The Fever and then decided to read Marie and Bruce. I'm getting used to all of this reading. It's not so bad at all. I think, though, that I am going to have to increase the number of books I have in the column at right; I am going through too many at once. I don't think I've read this much since I was eleven years old.

The house still hasn't closed, much to my chagrin. I've been in Florida a month and I've lived in this house a month and I still don't own it. The thought of that drives me absolutely bonkers, but we're supposed to close tomorrow and life will feel much calmer once we have. (Though, we were "supposed" to close a month ago, and we were "supposed" to close three weeks ago, and we were "supposed" to close on Friday, and we were "supposed" to close today, so I don't have too much faith in the dates and times given to me by my real estate agent.) And god bless my support system in Tally. I found out my house wasn't going to close today and I was on the verge of tears. I told my Theatre Studies pals and they just turned back to their work. Which is fine, I mean, they don't really owe me any support, but then I called Ryan (MFA director) and he was on top of the sympathy. It was totally helpful and supportive and I was very grateful. Then Alison (MFA director) called me and talked to me some more about it. Boy was I thankful for them. It's nice to know that I have support here in Tally and not just at home.

Speaking of which, I got calls from numerous California folks today and it was really wonderful. So, thanks Elizabeth, Ashley, Marcos and Aines for the pick-me-ups. They were needed.

I think I found a car, too. I will let you all know more details about that tomorrow after I go check it out...

No comments:

Post a Comment