Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

05 June 2005

DVD Drama

This morning I put in the DVD (recently received from Netflix) of the Italian film A Special Day, a film I have been wanting to see for years that was finally released on DVD about three weeks ago.

The DVD release was dubbed in English.
Not only that, it was an old pan-and-scan version of the film.
Worse, yet, the transfer to digital was obviously made from a previous VHS release. The DVD even had tracking problems like those old tapes used to have at the beginning of the movie.

I took that shit out of my DVD player and sent it straight back to Costa Mesa. I can't believe someone even wasted time on a release like this. I mean, why bother? Do your work, find a good print of the film and release it right. I mean, this is a film starring Marcello Mastroianni and Sophia Loren; it's not like it's an obscure picture, and even if it were an obscure picture, it still merits a full release of the film and at least a decent-quality print. I say shame on Jef Films Inc. who released the DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment