Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

03 December 2005

SYRIANA (Whatever THAT Means)

Well, Syriana won't be my favorite film of the year, but it may be the year's best-made film. It's really fucking powerful. It reminded me of The Constant Gardener, but with less hope. The plot is a tad murky, but that didn't really worry me. There are excellent performances from all: the cast is headlined by George Clooney, Matt Damon & Jeffrey Wright, but also includes Chris Cooper, William Hurt, Alexander Siddig, Christopher Plummer, Amanda Peet, Max Minghella and Tim Blake Nelson.
It's just so horrific and appalling, this big bad world we live in. Syriana raises so many questions and gives us so many answers: but then it shows us how each of those answers is--simply put--impossible. ...Until by the end of the film I had given up on the future. This film makes me feel as though my country has failed me and will continue to do so and that there is no hope whatsoever for lasting peace in the Middle East region. This film is the angriest most depressing feature I've seen in a long time and I'm not really even sure what to think of it. I mean, it's obviously the work of an immensely talented, unspeakably angry director and I totally applaud Stephen Gaghan, but I'm just a little bit terrified.

Sorry this post is a downer, but I've just seen a doozy of a film and I'm reeling a bit still. Syriana is really, really good and I enjoyed it, but it left me cold and angry and I feel defeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment