Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

30 August 2006

Tears

To call me overwhelmed would, I think, be a bit of an understatement. It's a good thing, but right now I'm feeling bombarded with information and with assignments. The tasks to be done and the amount of reading to be digested seem enormous. I read about 40 pages of a doctoral thesis defining Documentary Theatre and identifying and categorizing the semiotics of Documentary Theatre today. I agree that Documentary Theatre is it's own discrete genre, but I'm not sure I totally buy the argument that it is its own form. You don't care about this, but it's what I'm thinking about, so it's what I'm writing about.

Last night I couldn't sleep; I dreamt of Thomas Middleton and The Witches. I'm not even sure why. We didn't and haven't discussed Shakespeare or Middleton with any serious depth since I've been here (much to my glee.)

We got a bunch of assignments today in Research & Bibliography. I'm doing presentations on Materialism (which is...?), Queer Theory and Hermeneutics (I think my dad knows what this is, but I can't figure out how it's different from semiotics.) All of this makes my head spin. By the end of the semester I am supposed to have written a 20-page scholarly article that is worthy of publication in a theatre journal.

What I need to do is to start managing the time so that all of this shit actually gets done. Over the weekend, for instance, I need to read all of Goethe's Faust and a book by a woman named Lamott called Bird by Bird. They aren't kidding around here. Geez.

No comments:

Post a Comment