Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

08 September 2004

Why bother?

John called this afternoon around 4.  I didn't pick up.  He text-messaged me.  I text-messaged back.


4:21p "Hey fucker r we rollin?"


4:37p I dont really feel up to it.  Is that ok? Did you talk to Bret? Im at work so I cant answer the phone.


5:03p "Dont be a pussy or a bitch or a queer. tom is rolling u big girl."


To this I did not respond. I couldn't think of anything appropriate to respond with. He sent me another message:


7:14p "Hey call me dude."


John then called me at 7:16p from a number I didn't recognize.  Knew it was him.  Didn't answer. 


Called me again at 7:20p from his own phone and left "Hey, call me," on my voice mail.


Called me again at 7:30p and said "Hey, asshole, call me."


Called me again at 8:33p and sang "Asshole, asshole, call me: that's your new song."


I finally called him back around 9:15p. He had wanted to get a beer.  Now he was watching the Angels and couldn't talk.


* * * * *


Instead of seeing John I drove down to Sunset and Vine and met my dear friend Madison.  We sat at a coffee shop and suffered through a couple of open mic performances and then walked down to Borders where I didn't buy a thing (so proud of myself).  It was just nice to see her and spend time with her and give her encouragement.  The evening was buoyed by the fact that I found actual free street parking in this area of town.  Who knew it was possible?  Right place.  Right time.


I started watching Wong Kar-Wai's In the Mood for Love today and I would've finished it but the DVD was damaged, so I sent it back to Netflix.  This movie is fantastic.  I cannot wait to see the end of it.


I'm always praising movies in this space.  I don't feel bad about it, though, because I see about twice as many as I talk about here.  It seems silly to talk about movies that are only so-so or crappy.  So I only really remark on the good ones and the really terrible ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment