Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

25 December 2004

Angel of Music

I was in La Verne all day so my cinema choices were limited this evening. The options were The Phantom of the Opera or Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. I opted for Phantom. It was, ummm, pretty. The three leads are all beautiful, and they all sing excellently. That Emmy Rossum has some serious pipes. And I didn't even know Patrick Wilson could sing. I only know I hated his character in Angels in America. Hate. Hate. Hate.
'Tis the season?

Phantom was okay. Not great by any means. It looks gorgeous. I guess my main problem with it is that I'm never sure what's happening in it, you know? If any of you see it I'd like to get your opinion on this. There's a lot of singing, but what, physically, is going on in the film? I just don't get it. There's a lot of symbolism, I suppose, but I don't understand.

I changed my voice mail message. I'm singing on it now:
In the meadow we can build a snowman
And pretend that he is Parson Brown
He'll say Are you married We'll say No man
'Cause it's illegal in this part of town

Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment