Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

11 December 2004

I Was Hoping I Could Come Home and Say I'd Seen the Year's Best Film

La Mala Educación is good. In fact, it's really good. But it's not as good as Todo Sobre Mi Madre and it's nowhere near as brilliant Hable con Ella.

Gael García Bernal is out of luck for his Best Actor nomination this year, even though his performance is spot-on. I'm thinking that Almodóvar may still get a Best Director nomination, though. The screeplay could wind up nominated too, I guess, although I just didn't embrace the film whole-heartedly. Pedro obviously has a language and style all his own, and Educación is unmistakably Almodóvar, but I think it has too many layers to it: for me this diffuses my emotional involvement in the characters.

Still, it's a nice piece of cinema and something everyone involved can certainly be proud of. I just wish the story of those little boys in love had been told more clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment