Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

04 December 2004

Aaron Goes to College: Vol. 1

"Aaron Goes to College" is akin to Kill Bill, I feel, in scope and length.

I have been applying to college all day. After I woke up and did yoga (!) I ran to Target for envelopes (just the regular kind) and some quarters. When I got home I shut the door on the roommate and his girlfriend and attempted to finish all of the application processes for Stanford and Berkeley. I finished the web-based part of Stanford and pressed Send. I still haven't finished Berkeley because I'm waiting to hear if Dr. Melissa Aaron will write me a reccomendation. If she will, I'll hold off on pressing Send, but if I don't hear from her Monday, I'm hitting Send without her. After I hit Send at Berkeley, I'll be done with that school. But I still have more to mail in for Stanford. As follows:

1. Stanford wants a Statement on Directing, which they describe as "a brief (no more than 3 pages double spaced) description of your approach to a proposed production of one of the following plays: Sophocles’ Electra, Shakespeare’s King Lear, Brecht’s Good Person of Setuzan [sic], or Suzan-Lori Parks’ America Play." I'm totally going with the Parks' piece, but I'm exhausted. That can get done tomorrow.

2. Stanford also wants "one or two papers that best demonstrate your potential for doing independent and sophisticated work in criticism. Please do not submit papers of historical research that is not subjected to analysis, reviews of productions, or original plays. We value historical study, journalism, and playwriting, but such work gives little indication of your ability to handle critical language or deal with abstract ideas or aesthetic theory. The paper need not deal with drama; critical studies of another genre could provide the evidence we need." Thankfully I have something that fits this bill. It's called "Girl-Power and the English Restoration," and it's quite good if I do say so myself.

3. I'm also supposed to send "a statement indicating your experience attending live theater so that the Committee knows what kinds of theater you have been exposed to at this point in your life."

And this is only two schools. I have three more of these bad boys to turn in.

No comments:

Post a Comment