Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

26 March 2005

Anime

This evening I saw Ōtomo Katsuhiro's new film Steamboy. Boooooooooring. I thought it was going to be interesting. This is the director, after all, of the renowned Akira, but let me tell you I was bored off my ass.

The visuals are very cool; Ōtomo obviously has style for days, but the plot is an utter mess and the physics (which seem to be the basis of the whole film) are extremely questionable. Worse yet is this character "Miss Scarlett" who I wanted to strangle with my bare hands. I think it's safe to say that she has stolen the crown out of Jar-Jar Binks's hands for Most Annoying Cartoon Character Ever.
The politics of the film are fairly sound: advances in science are no good if they are used to kill people, but the idea is simple and never advances any further than this. There is also the problem of interest: the movie is about steam power in the late nineteenth century. And who the fuck cares about steam power in the late nineteenth century?

No comments:

Post a Comment