Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

20 March 2005

What Is Zee Difference?

There is a lit sign less than a mile from my house and it says in somewhat large letters:
Worshiping Jesus

For weeks I thought it said "Worshiping Zeus" (the upper-case cursive "Z" being similar to a "J") and I couldn't figure out why people in Pasadena were still worshiping Zeus.

I can't figure out why people still believe in God. I know I've said it before, but I just think the whole thing is silly. The wife of one of the other people on the HOA board invited me to church today and I was very polite. I told her I would be out of town for Easter Sunday but thanks all the same. I always try to be polite to proselytes. I could of course respond with "Actually, ma'am, I am a principled Atheist and I think religion at best silly and at worst a horrible political tool used by the corrupt to subjugate and enslave the peoples of the world," but I find it much simpler to be kind.

Certain IMAX theaters in the South are refusing to show a documentary about volcanoes because of passing references to Evolution in the film. I read a New York Times article on the subject. The whole thing is just stunning. I know! Maybe the scientists are wrong, and the stuff in the ancient texts is right! The idea is ludicrous. People are so silly.

On a more positive note, I saw Millions this evening and just loved it. It is a movie with deeply religious/moral convictions, but don't let that keep you away. Danny Boyle has a very cool visual style and the politics of the movie are sound (more up Ashley's alley than anyone else's, but don't let that keep you away either.) It's a charming, beautiful film with a heart of gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment