Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

19 February 2004

Productivity

I have been having most productive evenings since my show The Sin Project closed.  Such a relief to have it over, and yet a bit of a disappointment that I have no actual work to do in the evenings.  Well, not creative work anyway. Last night I watched a very excellent film by Peter Yates: The Dresser, and then in preparation for a show I am going to see on Sunday called The Wind Cries Mary, I read one of the author's (Philip Kan Gotanda) earlier plays: The Wash.  It was okay, and works like most of his other early work--in short scenes that are kind of heavy and only occasionally funny: he is absolutely successful at what he does, I am not sure that I find it particularly entertaining, but then The Wash does focus on older people, and I have a bit of a prejudice in general toward the elderly. This is because I do not understand them.  At any rate, after reading the Gotanda play, I headed to the cinema to see The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara (quite the title, n'est-ce pas?).  Good film. $6.50 for the movie and $5.00 for parking.  Ridiculous.  Fucking Old Pasadena.  I am not going to that cinema again unless I find reasonable parking.  That made the movie $11.50!!!!!  Forget it.

Tonight I watched the horrible Lynch movie Wild at Heart. My god, can you say "bad cinema?" And then I finished a play by Nicky Silver called The Food Chain. Fucking funny, let me tell you...  I'm going to bed now, but this "not working on a show thing" while new and slightly distressing does seem to give me a lot of free time for ingesting culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment