Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

02 January 2005

Bad Reviews?

I just saw Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events and I loved it. Really. I thought it pushed exactly the right emotional buttons when it needed to, boasted very funny performances from Jim Carrey, Meryl Streep and Billy Connolly. The movie is cast perfectly. I thought that the kids were excellent (especially that Liam Aiken kid--give me him over Freddie Highmore and his huge tears any day). Thomas Newman's score is wonderful, the visual effects are great, and the writing is absolutely terrific. If you're thinking about seeing this movie but aren't sure, take it from me: go. It's even got this really fun Edward Gorey-inspired end credits sequence that is one of the best of the year.

For New Years this year, I was invited to the Keri Boling wedding that Kim attended, but I decided I didn't really care to go. I had planned on spending the evening with Jaime. We were gonna get a hotel room close to the wedding so that our friends could come by after they were sick of wedding. But the hotel thing fell through, so I decided to ditch my high school friends altogether and go to the party thrown by my man Danny and spend the New Year with my other group of close friends. I think it is important always to remind the people whom we love that we love them. They need to hear it even if they don't think they do. It can mean a lot. So I spent New Years with Danny and Ashley and Wahima and Justin and Kirsten and Becca and Elizabeth and some other cat named Keith. We had a great time (sorry about the game, Wa, but I'm just not competitive).

In other news, I sent in my application for UC Davis a day or two ago, and today I decided not to apply to Cornell and UWashington, but instead to try UC Santa Barbara. UCSB has a 1/15/05 deadline, too, so I should be okay, I think. It just really hit me so hard today: if I am not accepted to school in the fall I will be so depressed. I want to move on with my life. I like my job and I like my house but this is not where I am supposed to be and I know it. So I want to move on and do what I am supposed to be doing. I have created a nice little life for myself, and if I ended up doing this for a couple more years before going back to school, it honestly wouldn't be the end of the world, but this is just not the right path and to continue on it seems foolish. I need to get a move on on the path that is my real life.
In the damned-if-I-do-damned-if-I-don't category, if I do get into school I will have to quit my job and move away from everyone I love. Lovely thoughts for the New Year.

Love and Kisses,
A

No comments:

Post a Comment