Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

16 October 2019

What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice? (1969)

What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice? is sort of terrible. It's part of that hagsploitation subgenre of cinema begun with What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? But What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice? really lacks a lot of interest, and Geraldine Page seems actually to be trying to act, even though she should be leaning into the camp. This decision on page's part doesn't really work, but the real problem here is that Ruth Gordon – who had just won an Oscar for Rosemary's Baby really isn't given more to do.

While we're talking about things that are terrible, all of my friends made fun of me for talking about how attractive the young Robert Fuller was. And I guess he is sort of generic. But hey, I was doing my best to enjoy this movie, and Robert Fuller was the eye-candy.
Robert Fuller. What?

1 comment:

  1. OK -- somehow I have never heard of this movie. It sounds like something I need to rent, like, TOMORROW. Robert Fuller looks passable, but he's no Anthony Perkins!

    ReplyDelete