Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

13 May 2004

L'Apostrophe

I bought a book tonight called Eats, Shoots & Leaves, and I learned a great deal from the first 60 pages.  It's about punctuation, and the first paragraph is dedicated entirely to the apostrophe.  The author did not, however, answer the burning question of using the word "o'clock" in titles.  (Is it "O'Clock," "o'Clock," or "O'clock"?)   Perhaps that will be in a chapter surrounding capitalization.


The author, one Lynne Truss, has a very dry sense of humor and I find her VERY funny as she exclaims with sadness the deteriorating use of English punctuation. ("XMA'S TREES" indeed.)


There was a wonderful singer/pianist in the bookstore who caught me quite off guard with his rendition of the little-known Billy Joel tune "And So It Goes."  One of my old favorites.  He was also quite cute.  I am such a sucker for the piano.


Who can say if I've been changed for the better?


I do believe I have been changed for the better.


Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.


I watched Win a Date with Tad Hamilton! this evening.  I know, I know: I'm gay.  It was cute, and really very sweet, and one can't watch The Diary of Anne Frank every night.  The screenwriter was really very clever, and it was directed by the brilliant mind who brought us the original Legally Blonde.  The best thing about it, I think, was how it captured the whole idea of Hollywood, and what it's like, perfectly.  The deleted scenes even involve a cameo by Paris Hilton.  Nathan Lane and Sean P. Hayes steal scenes, and Topher Grace is really great and very funny.  The only one I didn't believe is the lead girl: Kate Bosworth.  I don't know who this chick is, but she got on my nerves.


When I got to work this morning my boss was pissed at me.  He had told the unabomber that he was going to rip me a new one when I got there.  As a side note, I had done absolutely nothing wrong, but that is, I suppose, neither here nor there, since the boss was mad anyway.  Steve must be intimidated by me or something, though, because he didn't even come close to yelling, and once he told me what he wanted, I got right to it.  As a matter of fact, I was done in an hour.  In truth, I think, he was really angry at himself for not doing his own job, which he evidently did last night after I left.  This "doing of his actual job" caused him to realize how behind he was, which caused him (unnaturally) to get pissed at me.



Fuck Steve.  Seriously.  He is too much of a pussy to even come out and say he's mad at me.  Fuck him.  I'm not the one reading email all fucking day.  Get off the fucking internet and do a tax return once in a while, asshole, and then you won't have to get all heated with me.  Fucker.


I also bought The Red Tent at the bookstore for $4.00!!!  Woo hoo.  On my way home I resisted the urge to get coffee or food, and wisely saved the money.  Gas is $2.24 at the corner Union pump.

No comments:

Post a Comment