Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

11 November 2004

What Do You Take to Make You Happy?

It's the middle of the week and I'm going to go to sleep.
It's funny how things become so habit-forming. Life is habit-forming. I've been driving to Pomona every single night that I have worked at Avjet and I was doing that a week before I started working at Avjet. That's seven weeks now. And yet, tonight, I drove home and didn't think a thing of it. I went to Starbucks and got my coffee ground, picked up some quarters, went home and did laundry for the first time in two weeks, finished watching The Decline of the American Empire, washed all the dishes in the house, fixed myself a dinner of eggs, ham and jalapeños, poured myself a glass of white wine, and sat down to think. Like nothing. Like it was nothing special. And now, when I think about it, I think about how special being able to do all of those things is. I am very grateful to the theatre in general and specifically to CSUP for allowing me to work there, but I am exhausted. The work has been so much. And working at Avjet and then driving an hour and a half everyday has not been easy. I will miss the theatre in a week and a half, but for now, I feel quite peaceful. I shall return to attending the cinema.

The Decline of the American Empire was incredible. I love intellectuals. It made me want to see The Barbarian Invasions again. I mite rent it. It goes against my normal m.o. of not re-watching movies (there are so many unseen), but I am again excited about Denys Arcand's work, and I love these characters. If you haven't seen either of these rent one or both this weekend.

Tomorrow I drive up north for a wedding, so I will be M.I.A. this weekend. Sorry to all of you folks who were planning on calling me to go out at the last minute. But my weeknights are free now and I will be hitting the cinema.
Allan, let's go see Sideways or Birth or Undertow one night next week. Is that a possibility?
Wahima, if you can make it out here next week, maybe we can go catch The Incredibles.
Elizabeth, Justin, fucking call me already.

*

Today there was a barbecue at a place that supplies fuel to Avjet in celebration of the holidays and their new general manager. I, of course, wanted to go (free food, hello), and all of the ladies in Accounting wanted to go too, so we figured we'd all go together. So... I emailed Stephen in Operations (cute/engaged/from one of the Dakotas) when I got in at 8:30.
We're all going to the Mercury barbecue at 1300. Do you want to come?
What is that?
It's for the holidays, I guess. Free food. Barbecue. I don't really know.
I forgot my lunch today, so sure, I'll come.
Cheers.

Stephen is kinda shy. But the girls in accounting are outgoing and crazy, so they were teasing him and asking him questions, and they convinced him to come with us for Thai food next Friday. There has been some other (light) drama at Avjet in our department, but I come out looking swell, quite frankly. I am really fast, and the ones who work hard see this... even my enemy, the CFO.

Now I'm listening to "Little Red Corvette." So good.

No comments:

Post a Comment